Sunday, March 26, 2006

Basketball Sucks

Dear Son,

This has been a disapointing week of basketball. Your mom's Zags lost to UCLA in the most heartbreaking way. But through her grief came this most fantastic piece of writing:

Since 1999, I have been a dedicated Gonzaga basketball fan. While attending GU, I witnessed the team rise from the state of "Gon-zog-a" and "Gonzag who?" to a national force, even for a mid-major from a weak conference. They have heart, they have skill, they have a great coach who brings out the best in players. By the end of each season, I feel like I know the players--I yell at them through the television screen, I know their strengths and weaknesses, and I have special place in my heart for each of them. I never miss a game.

And then there always comes the bitter, bitter disappointment. Every year I think they've got what it takes, that they will prove the critics wrong, but every year my hopes are dashed. The losses to Nevada and Texas Tech were particularly painful. But nothing will top last night. They had UCLA, they did...until the final minute when nothing seemed to go right.

Gonzaga is my ex-boyfriend who, just when I'm about to be over him (about November), woos me back, whispers in my ear that things will be different this time, and then come March, breaks my heart again.

Gonzaga, I wish I could quit you...

Sigh. That was a depressing moment at the bar, I have to say. The only upside was that our friend Peter was in the paper with some pretty good quotes. Then the rest of my bracket fell apart in the Elite Eight. As I type (procrastinating writing a brief), I'm watching UCONN trying hard to lose to George Mason, of all friggin' teams. Just sad.

Oh, well. That's why it happens every year, and that's why they call it gambling! Hell, I don't even remember who won last year. It's funny how we get so emotionally invested in things that at the end of the day just don't matter that much.

Love, Dad

No comments: